Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Zigs and Zags

I haven't blogged in almost 3 weeks. I've been struggling a bit with a few things; particularly eating well and keeping my mindset positive.

When I last posted, I was a bit discouraged and had a minor "blip". I reviewed my challenges from the previous week and adjusted. The adjustments proved fruitful as the following week was successful. I lost another 2.5 lbs and my measurements were stellar!

The end of week 5 however was not as good in the results department. I actually gained some weight back. Now I don't know if this is really because I gained fat back or what, but I was a bit demoralized after I weighed myself.

After a few days of venting to friends and reflecting upon my results - more specifically my behaviours from the past week - I am ready to face the facts and get back on track. If I have learned anything from some of the self-image literature I have been reading is that the way to a goal is a zig-zagging path and that you should not define yourself by your mistakes. So there you have it, I will not let my mistakes define me. Here's an image that summarizes how I am adjusting my way to see success:



So just like last time, I am going to make some small adjustments to my routine to get back on track:

No. 1:  Get enough sleep. I've noticed that during days when I am most tired, I tend to reach for extra food that is not necessary. On top of that, I know that my body needs sleep to repair the stress that I am putting it through during workouts.

No. 2: Eat according to plan. The instructions we have received from our trainer and the dietitian is to FOLLOW the plan. I will do this as much as I can. BUT, in the event that life gets in the way, I will eat foods that correspond to the plan. For instance, if the plan calls for chicken and veggies with oil and no carbs, I will eat a lean protein, veggies and some sort of oil (no carbs!). Also, I will be mindful of portion sizes. This piece of my commitment is absolutely pivotal for my success.

No. 3: Drink plenty of water. There is no doubt, water is essential in getting fit and losing weight. A dehydrated body doesn't perform well and doesn't burn fat well. I will continue to drink at least 3-4 L per day and limit my caffeine intake. In fact COFFEE will no longer be on the menu at all.

I also will continue to incorporate more exercise into my week. More cardio to be exact. Every morning, I will go for a 30 minute walk before I eat or have a shower. Hopefully the walks will turn into jogs soon as the ice on the sidewalks melts away!

So there you have it. These are my goals over the next little while. Things may zig and zag, but it's the way I get back to my goals that counts. I will persist to the end and achieve my ultimate goal: live a healthy lifestyle that gives me energy and allows me to remain at a healthy weight.

Thank you for those that have helped me this week hash these things out - directly or indirectly - you know who you are ;-)

Special thanks to Joy for this next image - I was inspired by this saying that was in her blog :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment